Syllabus Catalog Description BCU's Academic Integrity Statement Email Guidelines Grades Online Windows Resources Internet Resources Word resources PowerPoint Resources Excel Resources Email resources Personal gradebook
8:00 class: Monday,
December 10, 2018, 8:00 to 9:50.
9:00 class: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 8:00 to 9:50.
All students are expected to take the final at the time scheduled for their class. Make travel plans accordingly.
Click on the links below and complete all three questionnaires. This is an assignment. It is due at 5 p.m. Thursday, December 6. If you answer all questionnaires, you will get 100 on the final assignment. If not, you will get a 0. Please consider answering the long questions on the BrightSpace questionnaire.
On BrightSpace. It looks like this
· Interesting tech: PowerPoint errors
· PowerPoint alternative:
· Interesting tech: SpaceX
· Interesting tech: Project x-ray
· Help in Office 2016
· Interesting tech: Computers in medicine
· Mail Merge: Word 2016 resources
· Mail Merge. Create your Word document from scratch. Instructions. Spreadsheet data file. The first page of your result should look like this. Put BOTH Word files in the drop box at the same time. Hand in TWO files: (1) the template file (should be 1 page long) and (2) the merged letters file (should be 12 pages long).
· Interesting tech: A cool "printer"
· Interesting tech: A PC that fits in your pocket
· Interesting tech: Apple patent application
· Interesting tech: Sophia
· Interesting tech: Biometrics
· Interesting tech: OneNote
· Interesting tech: Skype translator in the classroom
· Check your grade. Password to see Excel test #2: anwyccdfy
· Interesting tech: Cell phone screens.
· Today's sample file.
· Excel test, part 2. File. Immediately save to your desktop with your name added to the end of the file name. Put cell phones on silent and out of sight. Check with Tom before leaving to make sure you put the right file in the drop box.
· Tutorial 1: Ice etching.
· If you finish Tutorial 1, you can try Tutorial 2: Flappy Bird.
· On the last step (step #20) of the Code with Anna and Elsa (Tutorial 1 above), create an image that meets the following requirements. Each is 20%.
1. There must be 3 snowflakes,
2. Each snowflake must be a different color. Don't use random colors; set your own color.
3. All snowflakes must be completely visible on the screen.
4. They must not overlap.
5. There must not be a line connecting the snowflakes (use the Jump command to move from snowflake to snowflake so there is not a line on the screen connecting the snowflakes)
· Take a screen shot (press the PrtScr key). This will copy it to the clipboard. Open a Word document. Paste your image from the clipboard into your Word document. Save and submit the Word document in the drop box.
· Practice test solution (Excel file)
· Interesting tech: Microsoft's vision of the future
· Protect yourself: Quad9
· Interesting tech: Fake video
· Advanced Filters, "D" functions: Real Estate spreadsheet (instructions are included in the spreadsheet).
· Interesting tech: Augmented Reality (Pepsi)
· Test scores.
· Check your grade.
· Interesting tech: Raspberry Pi 3.
· First test will be next Monday, 9/24/2018
· Interesting tech: Amazon Go (video). Amazon Go opens Chicago store 9/17/2018 (news story).
· Pivot tables. Iowa Football. Instructions are in the Excel File.
· Test is Monday, 9/24/2018.
· Interesting tech: Ambulance drones
· Sample File.
· Mark your calendar: First test will be Monday, 9/24, over Excel 1-6.
· Interesting chart: 200 countries, 200 years
· Sample file.
· Charts. Create your charts from scratch.
· Interesting tech: Project Linda
· Check grades.
· Sample file: Advising.txt
· Sorting and filtering: 2017 Population data. Directions are in the workbook.
· Interesting tech: New phone?
· Check grades.
· Sample file. Budget, addition table, loan payment table.
· Interesting tech: Seeing AI
· Help in Office 2016
· Sample file.
· Keyboard shortcuts quiz.
· Interesting tech: a "knowledge engine": Wolfram Alpha
· Useful Chrome add-on: Reader View
· Quiz over Windows keyboard shortcuts
· Interesting tech: What happens on the Internet in one minute
· Windows: Windows 10
· Using the Internet: Internet Resources
· (1) Web scavenger hunt. Hand in a hard copy.
· (2) World's easiest homework assignment: Add your pic to your email: Go to web email, click on the picture placeholder next to your name (it has your initials in it). Click on the camera next to your picture. When the Change Your Photo dialog box opens, click on the Upload a new photo link and upload a recognizable picture of yourself (not an avatar or some celebrity or a shot of you on the football field). Must be a portrait. Send me an email when you are done so I can see your picture.
· Interesting tech: the future of football?
· Getting Office: Office 365 University is now free. Go to www.office.com. It comes with a terabyte of storage on OneDrive.
· Can you multitask? (no)
· FREE homework assignment: Fill out online before the deadline time on . This is an assignment: Computer experience survey, Word Processing skills survey, Spreadsheet skills survey. There is nothing to hand in. I will look at your survey online. They are due tomorrow so I can summarize them before class on Wednesday.
· Class policies for assignments and tests (print a hard copy, READ, sign, and bring to next class).
· Memorize Windows keyboard shortcuts (nothing to hand in) in preparation for a quiz next class. The quiz will begin promptly at the class starting time.