· Learn how to insert symbols into a Word document.
Sometimes you need a special symbol in a document that is not found on your keyboard. Although there are no shortcut keys for most of these symbols, Word provides a way to insert them into your document.
· Click on the Insert tab.
· In the Symbols group (far right), click on the Symbol button.
· Click on the desired symbol.
If you click on More Symbols, the following dialog box will appear. Note that you can choose from any font that is on your computer. Fonts with special characters include Webdings, Wingdings, Wingdings 2, Wingdings3, and ZapfDingbats.
· Click on a font (in this case I have selected "Wingdings").
· Click on the desired symbol (I have selected a diamond).
· Then click on the Insert button to insert the symbol into your document.
These are from the Arial font:
For a font set whose characters are all symbols (no letters of the alphabet), choose Webdings, Zapf Dingbats, or one of the Wingdings fonts.
These are some characters from the Wingdings font (enlarged to 30 points):